Friday 22 July 2022

Johnny Hobo And The Freight Trains


Johnny Hobo And The Freight Trains was a folk punk project helmed by Pat The Bunny (Pat Schneeweis) that were active from 2000 to 2007. They were mostly based out of Brattleboro, Vermont. I know I've covered two of Pat's other major projects, Wingnut Dishwashers Union and Ramshackle Glory, so while revisiting Love Songs For The Apocalypse, I figured it only fitting to include his first major project on here as well. Anybody familiar with Pat's other work is most likely familiar with this band, and if not they've got a pretty good idea of what to expect going into it. Songs about politics, religion, anarchism, alcoholism, drug abuse, isolation, homelessness, DIY and punk rock are his go-to topics, all of which are present in Johnny Hobo. He's got a penchant for writing quick-witted yet honest and vulnerable songs, all with four chords and vocals that demand to be shouted along to. On some recorded material, they utilized a variety of instruments, including drums, trumpets, and harmonicas, but when touring, it was mostly just Pat and an acoustic guitar.

There's a good chunk of material here, some with overlapping tracks, various compilations and live stuff, etc. so I've included some notes beneath a few of them as a guide to what's what. If you're just starting out though, their side of Love Songs For The Apocalypse is probably the best batch of songs. It's also included on the compilation Fight Like Hell, which also includes the majority of the tracks from various EPs. Caught In The Act Of Not Being Awesome and Live At Bandit H.Q. are probably their most popular live releases, both of which are worth your time. Enjoy.

1. Skimming Bakunin
2. Church Hymn For The Condemned
3. Fuck The Dictionary
4. FLESREYLLIK
5. Only Two Of My Best Friends Are Actual People
6. Untitled
7. If By "Emo" You Mean "Drugs"
8. I'm So Punk I Hate Punk
9. Below Good And Evil
10. D.I.Y. Orgasms
11. Put Arsenic In The Frosting Next Time

1. Only Two Of My Best Friends Are Actual People
2. Church Hymn For The Condemned
3. Fuck The Dictionary
4. D.I.Y. Orgasms
5. Below Good And Evil
6. I'm So Punk I Hate Punk
7. Put Arsenic In The Frosting Next Time
8. Untitled
9. PUNKROCKANARCHY

1. New Mexico Song
2. Fuck Cops
3. Not My Revolution (Oi! Oi! Oi!)

1. "No Trespassing!" Waltz
2. Spraypaint And Alleyways
3. Crackhouse Song

1. New Mexico Song
2. Put Arsenic In The Frosting Next Time
3. Harmony Parking Lot
4. Election Song
5. Acid
6. Church Hymn For the Condemned
7. Whiskey Is My Kind Of Lullaby
8. D.I.Y. Orgasms

Note: Live album

1. Captain Chaos - I Figured Out How I Feel About You
2. Captain Chaos - Figure 8
3. Captain Chaos - The Devil And My Grandpa
4. Captain Chaos - A Song For Tomorrow
5. Captain Chaos - I Dare You To Live Forever
6. Captain Chaos - Oh Sister
7. Captain Chaos - Up The Punks
8. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - New Mexico Song
9. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Election Song
10. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Church Hymn For The Condemned
11. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - D.I.Y. Orgasms
12. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - The Politics Of "Holy Shit I Just Cut My Hand On A Broken Bottle"

1. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - New Mexico Song
2. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Church Hymn For The Condemned
3. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Whiskey Is My Kind Of Lullaby
4. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Acid Song
5. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Election Song
6. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - I Want Cancer For Christmas
7. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Harmony Parking Lot Song
8. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - Untitled
9. Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains - D.I.Y. Orgasms
10. Mantits - The Extinction Of The Human Race
11. Mantits - Kicking Your Shins
12. Mantits - Fear Makes The World Go 'Round
13. Mantits - World War 3
14. Mantits - Righteous Indignation Saved The World
15. Mantits - Ode To Freedom
16. Mantits - Kill Me In My Sleep
17. Mantits - So Long To The Ice Cream Bars
18. Mantits - Bitter Hole In The Wall

1. Free As The Rent We Don't Pay
2. Johnny Hobo Is Dead
3. Skaggy
4. Crackhouse Song
5. Tampa Bay Song
6. No Trespassing Waltz
7. Where Is My Coffee (Where Is It?)

1. New Mexico Song (Part)
2. Free As The Rent We Don't Pay (Part)
3. Whiskey Is My Kind Of Lullaby
4. DIY Orgasms
5. Where Is My Coffee
6. Green St.
7. Wagon Wheel
8. Harmony Parking Lot Wheel
9. Acid Song
10. Color In Your Cheeks
11. Going To Georgia
12. This Year
13. Tampa Bay Song
14. Fuck Cops Intro, Into Skaggy
15. No Trespassing Waltz
16. Crackhouse Song
17. Sellout Song

1. Free As The Rent We Don't Pay
2. (You Gotta Fight) For Your Right (To Party)
3. Harmony Parking Lot
4. Whiskey Is My Kind Of Lullaby
5. Acid Song
6. New Mexico Song
7. DIY Orgasms
8. Where Is My Coffee (Where Is It?)

1. New Mexico Song
2. Put Arsenic In The Frosting Next Time
3. Harmony Parking Lot Song
4. Election Song
5. Acid Song
6. Church Hymn For The Condemned
7. Whiskey is My Kind Of Lullaby
8. D.I.Y. Orgasms
9. As Free As The Rent We Don't Pay
10. Sellout Song
11. Skaggy
12. Crackhouse Song
13. Tampa Bay Song
14. No Trespassing! Waltz
15. Where Is My Coffee? (Where Is It?)

Note: Includes Love Songs For The Apocalypse and Chaos Infiltration Squad

1. New Mexico Song
2. Church Hymn For The Condemned
3. Whiskey Is My Kind Of Lullaby
4. Acid Song
5. Election Song
6. I Want Cancer For Christmas
7. Harmony Parking Lot Song
8. Untitled
9. DIY Orgasms
10. **Previously Unreleased Demo**
11. No Trespassing Waltz
12. Spray Paint & Alleyways (Crackhouse Song)
13. Homebum Song
14. Fuck Cops
15. Not My Revolution (Oi! Oi! Oi!)
16. As Free As The Rent We Don't Pay
17. Skaggy
13. Tampa Bay Song
14. Where Is My Coffee? (Where Is It?)
15. Sellout Song
16. No Trespassing Waltz - alternate
17. **Fuck Cops-alternate version (digital only)
18. **New Mexico Song-demo (digital only)
19. ** New Mexico Song-demo #2 (digital only)
20. **Church Hymn For The Condemned-demo (digital only)
21. **Election Song-demo (digital only)
22. **Harmony Parking Lot Song-demo (digital only)
23. **D.I.Y. Orgasms-demo (digital only)
24. *​*​I Want Cancer For Christmas​-​demo (digital only)
25. **The Politics Of Holy Shit I Just Cut My Hand On A Broken Bottle
26. **No Trespassing Walts-demo (digital only)

Note: Includes Love Songs For The Apocalypse, All Power To The Wingnuts!Easter Sunday Hangover EP, Chaos Infiltration Squad, and various demos

2 comments:

  1. His name is "Schneeweis" (coming from German meaning Snow White) not "Schnweeis" which is unpronouncable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I been waiting for this one forever! I really appreciate the effort you take to cover the artists and their music in great detail💙

    ReplyDelete