Thursday 13 September 2018

Counterculture


Counterculture are a four-piece emo/punk band from Kansas City, Missouri that began in 2016. They play a mesh of pop punk and emo, which means energetic instrumentals and steady rhythms, and the occassional noodle-off with the guitars. Their first album (Teenage Relevance) contains mostly slow, morose material, with shimmering Americ anFootball twinkletown guitars all over it. On their most recent EP, I Think You Didn't they get a little punchier, and the results definitely stand out more, but both releases are solid overall. The vocals are fairly sullen and whiny (which I mean as a positive), since they match up perfectly with the lyrics, which tend to touch upon feeling lost and looking back, the cornerstones of a nutritious emo track. Fans of bands like Modern Baseball, Free Throw and You Blew It! probably something they like in this. Counterculture were only recently introduced to me, but I really dig what I'm hearing, and would suggest you try 'em out as well. Enjoy.

1. yeah, about last night...
2. Dill
3. Wasting Away
4. Better This Way
5. Ballad Of Grandpa Bob
6. Symbols
7. Comic Books
8. Like She'd Care
9. As You
10. Nowhere Forever

1. All This Time I Am Alone
2. Pop Tart
3. Goin' Hamms
4. Waiting
5. Cliche Love Song
6. Didn't You Think I?

1 comment: