In my opinion, this is one of the most screamo releases ever. There is so much to explore in this one album. For one, it's a concept album about a woman going through a series of mental breakdowns, and is eventually institutionalized. Instrumentally, the intensity of the narrative is explored through heavy climaxes and long build-ups, making for a truly immersive listening experience. In terms of comparisons, the screamo influence could be compared to bands like Louise Cyphre, City Of Caterpillar, or Envy. On the post-rock/metal aspect of things, bands like Isis, Mogwai, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor come to mind.
Years later, now in 2016, Suffocate For Fuck Sake have released the long-awaited follow-up to their debut opus. In My Blood picks up on a lot of where the band left off, with them continuing to construct these heavy-hitting titans of climaxes, and gorgeously crafted melodic softer parts. Like their first album, I can't recommend it enough. If you're a fan of expansive screamo and incredible musicianship, this band is an absolute essential. Enjoy.
1. Hospital / H / The Social Worker Dragon
3. Le Gilet Fraternel
Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Frontpage Of The Newspaper. There's A War Going On And I'm Marching In Heavy Boots (2008)
1. Blue Lights And Sunshine
2. I Got Worried... I Was So Freaking Scared Of That Window, You Know
3. We Are Driving Through Darkness
4. Twentysix And Full Of Plans
5. A Japanese Flag
6. I Keep My Eyes On The Ground, Afraid Of Meeting Someone I Know
8. They Try To Cheer Me Up By Saying I Did Once Live A Functioning Life
2. I Am Your God
4. Through The Gate
5. 33 Years Ago
7. The Light
9. Are You Happy With Your Life?