Wednesday 20 January 2021

Your Arms Are My Cocoon

You Arms Are My Cocoon is a one-piece screamo band created by Tyler Odom, which released its debut EP last year. I hadn't previously heard this, but thanks to a suggestion in the chatbox I figured I'd give it a shot, and am very glad I did. This project meshes lo-fi bedroom pop with twinkly screamo. Its a hybrid that probably shouldn't work, but in this case it undoubtedly does. This sound is incredibly unique, with the math rock twinkly guitar sound of midwest emo against shrill vocal screams, with some electronic pattering to fill in the rhythm. Every song delivers something new, thanks to a lot of instrumental variety and ideas, with the acoustic and despondent "Metamorphosis" being a highlight. Enjoy.

1. Foster Nosferatu
2. Clifford The Big Red Stab Wound
3. In October Of 2019 I Called A Suicide Hotline For The First Time In My Life
4. Illinois//Alberta
5. Metamorphosis
6. Snowy!

8 comments:

  1. Ha, you've got to kidding with this. This is fucking dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. took a few listens for it to REALLY click for me too

      Delete
  2. Tyler recently said he was very influenced by Bedbug, another prominent 5th wave act (I wish I could find the insta post where he and other musicians were asked about something along the lines of "an album everyone should hear" and he wrote how he used to be listening to "If I Got Smaller" front to back, non-stop

    ReplyDelete