Friday 20 December 2019

Best Of 2019

As promised, here is my "best of" list for 2019, with some of my favourite albums to come out in the past year. Keep in mind this purely based on personal preference and not any kind of critical assessment. Additionally, the ranking is all pretty relative, so take the numbering with a grain of salt. This one was especially hard to put together, and I'm sure my listing will change by next week. I just want get this out before it goes through yet another endless revision. Please let me your favourite albums/songs/whatever from this year, as well as what albums I'm missing and my list sucks. If you are a strong enough person to pick favourites from this decade (I tried and failed), let me know those as well, I am genuinely curious to know. Without further ado, voila:

Honourable Mentions:
Gatecreeper - Deserted
Sect - Blood Of The Beasts
Defeater - Defeater
Origami Angel - Somewhere City
Hesitation Wounds - Chicanery


50

Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold

49

Have a Nice Life - Sea of Worry


48

Macseal - Super Enthusiast


47

Nuvolascura - Nuvolascura


46

Joliette - Luz Devora


45

Downhaul - Before You Fall Asleep


44

Overo - Overo


43

Abuse Of Power - What On Earth Can We Do?

42

Full of Hell - Weeping Choir


41

Somos - Prison On A Hill


40

Laura Stevenson - The Big Freeze

39

Free Throw - What's Past Is Prologue


38

Priests - The Seduction Of Kansas



37

James Blake - Assume Form


36

Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride


35

Swans - Leaving Meaning


34

Pkew Pkew Pkew - Optimal Lifestyles


33

Thom Yorke - Anima


32

The Hold Steady - Thrashing Thru The Passion


31

Amygdala - Our Voices Will Soar Forever


30

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?


29

Fury - Failed Entertainment


28

State Faults - Clairvoyant


27

Blood Incantation - Hidden History Of The Human Race


26

American Football - LP3

25

Mount Eerie / Julie Doiron - Lost Wisdom pt. 2


24

Shin Guard - 2020


23

Soul Glo - The Nigga In Me Is Me


22

Greet Death - New Hell


21

Great Grandpa - Four of Arrows


20

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow


19

clipping. - There Existed An Addiction To Blood


18

Frail Body - A Brief Memoriam


17

Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center


16

Oso Oso - Basking In The Glow


15

The Menzingers - Hello Exile


14

Black Midi - Schlagenheim


13

Brockhampton - Ginger


12

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors


11

JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs


10

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen


9

La Dispute - Panorama


8

Danny Brown - uknowhatimsayin¿


7

FKA twigs - MAGDALENE


6

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!


5

Bon Iver - i,i

4

Tyler, The Creator - IGOR


3

The Drew Thomson Foundation - The Drew Thomson Foundation


2

PUP - Morbid Stuff


1

The National - I Am Easy To Find

And that is it. Thank you for sticking with this blog through its most inactive year to date, it's a major driving factor in keeping this thing going. I have one more post to go for this year, and then we'll be back in 2020. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and I'll see ya soon.

16 comments:

  1. <3 great list as always, love the Frail Body shoutout and Hesitation Wounds mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking forward to this list. You constantly lead me to the best lesser known artists. This year I found PUP thanks to you. I truly appreciate the work you put in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see your list, although im lowkey suprised that i didn't see The Hotelier there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. that's because they're shit, dude

      Delete
  5. you found love yet, kevin?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great !!! I Realy appreciated La Dispute - Panorama Album & more of all Post HC band you shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kevin, thanks a lot for another great year of SFB -- still my favourite music blog.
    These are my Top 10 albums of 2019 (not too much Hardcore in there, but so what):
    1. The Body/Uniform - Everything that dies sometimes comes back
    2. Four of Arrows - Great Grandpa
    3. Slaughter Beach, Dog - Safe and also no Fear
    4. Slowthai - Nothing Great about Britain
    5. Pixies - Beneath the Eyrie
    6. Proper. - I Spent the Winter writing Songs about getting better
    7. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
    8. Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence
    9. Lana Del Rey - NFR
    10. The 5th Alliance - The Depth of the Darkness

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kevin. Thanks for keeping up with the blog. I have been frequenting it for years. My number one for this year was The Get Up Kids' Problems. For the decade, probably American Football's LP2. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dog Whistle - Show Me The Body :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love "Hello Exile" & "The Drew Thomson Foundation". I don't know how you manage to listen to 50 albums each year though!

    Favourite albums of the decade include "Schmaltz", "On the Impossible Past" & the Self Titled from the Front Bottoms

    As always thanks for your blog. It has been (and still is) my favourite source to discover new music. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list. I admit i don’t know them all but i know and like a lot of them. Especially like that you (like myself) love different kinds of music

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love and have loved this blog since I was the 16-year-old in my Blogger icon. (I didn't even realize I had a Blogger icon.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for keeping this blog up, always checking in man, your a legend

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stumbled upon this blog a few years ago and I have kept coming back to find albums from obscure bands (some of these are favorites of mine now) which aren't available anywhere else on the internet.

    Thank you so much for the work that you do. And hope you keep this blog up for years to come! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tnx for the great music.
    For this noise corner
    Hugs from Mexico!

    ReplyDelete