Sunday 28 July 2024

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start


Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start (they address it) were a five-piece emo/post-hardcore band from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that were active from 1999 to 2008, with reunion shows occurring in 2013 and 2016. They released two full-lengths and a handful of EP's during their initial run. Sonically, they really were all over the place, so any description isn't going to do them any justice. It's a mesh of the angular, syncopated, mathy sound of Faraquet, the noodly arpeggios of Cap'n Jazz, and the melancholic indie anthems of Death Cab For Cutie. They pack a ton of variety into these relatively short songs, making both full-lengths incredibly engaging. Their final LP, the aptly titled Worst Band Name Ever is a little more subdued, so I do slightly prefer And Nothing Is #1, which is the suggested starting point. Even though they predate these bands, if you're into TWIABP, Cstvt, Everyone, Everywhere, Joie De Vivre, or Into It. Over It. (with Evan Weiss even being a member for a short period), I think this will appeal to you. Enjoy.

1. Song Competition
2. Working Title
3. I'm Holding Hands With Me
4. Action
5. Walked Out This Season
6. Real Philosophers vs. The Lovers Of Sights And Sounds

1. Here I Am Away
2. I've Just Seen The Best I'll Ever Be
3. Hopelessly In Like With Me
4. As Usual To Me
5. It Will Be The Month That I Have

1. You Landed So Gracefully
2. I Know You'll Find Out That I'm A Geek
3. My Argument Precedes Me
4. As Usual
5. Help Me Fix My Bike
6. Is That A Terrible Thing To Say?
7. See You In A Month
8. Time Wastes No Time
9. Muscle, When Will I See It?
10. By Surprise

1. Down To The Day
2. Come Away
3. Please Come To Me
4. Strike 2
5. Them All

1. Are We Seeing This?
2. Dear Erica
3. I'm Growing Out
4. Out To Get Me
5. Track 5

1. Janet Bateman
2. Melanie Flury
3. Rachel Strayer
4. Robyn Fleshman

1. Shawnee
2. Gas Station Hair
3. I'll Thank You Later
4. Am I A Cricket
5. I Am The Island
6. The Red Loop
7. Christmas Eve 1993
8. 128 Cayuga St
9. Maureen Kehoe
10. Boise

2 comments:

  1. I'm cool with any band naming themselves after the Konami Code.

    ReplyDelete